BTV Ignite: Executive Director
BTV Ignite is a non-profit partnership that exists to accelerate the growth of the greater-Burlington technology and innovation economy into a sustainable ecosystem, creating and attracting startups, entrepreneurs and new jobs.
It is also, in part, an extension of the national US Ignite initiative that encourages public, private and academic institutions to develop next generation high bandwidth Internet applications that will change the way that we live, work, play, administer services and govern. BTV Ignite is dedicated to aligning the opportunity afforded by Burlington’s Anchor Institutions, businesses, non-profits, government, startups, entrepreneurs, and others with our powerful gigabit infrastructure for economic, educational and community benefit and as a tool, test-bed and accelerator. Additional details about BTV Ignites projects and initiatives can be found at www.btvignite.com.
The BTV Ignite Executive Director is responsible for working with local stakeholders to create plans, projects, and initiatives that help to “purpose build” components of a technology and innovation ecosystem that compliment and grow exiting assets in our area. Work includes but is not limited to:
• Becoming the glue that creates broader awareness of, binds and shapes multiple ongoing initiatives and encourages work across institutional silos to grow, showcase and highlight greater Burlington’s technology and innovation economy
• Updating BTV Ignite plans every six months or more frequently, to ensure ongoing importance and relevance in coordination with direction from the BTV Ignite Board of Directors.
• Actively leading or supporting initiatives or projects within the BTV Ignite “Playbook”, strategically, including activating and leveraging the members of the BTV Ignite Board of Directors.
• Working on projects in core areas of operation/focus including, but not limited to:
o Development of an Innovation Hub and Accelerator in 2017, building on current momentum
o Articulating the business case for the Accelerator and obtaining the necessary support from anchor institution leadership teams for its launch and a further two years of funding support beyond 2017
o STEM education
o Job training
- Including TechHire and other job training initiatives to be developed
o Marketing & branding
- Including the lead role in creating, launching and coordinating Innovation Week
o Leveraging gigabit and development of gigabit testbed applications
o Other testbed projects such as Internet of Things, etc.
o Connecting silos of activity already underway, generating a multiplier effect on outcomes
• Recruiting and retaining additional BTV Ignite partner organizations and businesses as directed by the Board.
• Organizing staffing monthly meetings of the BTV Ignite Board, as well as any other active committees, including preparing agendas and materials to support.
• Making periodic reports to relevant partners, elected or appointed bodies, such as the Burlington City Council
• Forging relationships with individuals in similar positions in other Ignite Communities, with a view to creating partnering opportunities around complimentary core capabilities and facilitating the sharing of best practice and successful initiatives, driving broader community awareness and involvement.
o FULL DETAILS are available at http://www.btvignite.com/our-2016-projects-initiatives/
• Connecting local tech entrepreneurs, businesses, and civic-minded hackers to civic opportunities, such as civic hack-a-thons or annual competitions/programs to solve long-standing governmental challenges.
• Building partnerships with local organizations to support the tech economy, working with the leadership of local organizations such as the VT Technology Alliance. TechJam, VCET, Generator, and others.
• Serving as Burlington’s day to day liaison to US Ignite, including attending national gatherings and period trips to other US Ignite cities.
• Serving as Burlington’s representative on collaborative projects that leverage the adoption and expansion of the City-wide fiber network, including UVM’s Internet 2 network.
• Directly assisting businesses in the tech sector in Burlington, particularly with:
o Connecting to other businesses in the tech sector
o Connecting to resources through local nonprofits that support the tech sector, or national resources like US Ignite
• Helping to create better partnerships with local education institutions to take advantage of the BTV Ignite opportunity and possibly in cooperation with efforts in other Ignite communities
• Assisting local businesses and institutions to reach US Ignites primary goal of developing applications that leverage the fiber network.
• Wherever possible using BTV ignite opportunities to also address/minimize the digital divide.
• Other duties, projects, and initiatives as determined by the Board of Directors.
The Executive Director will prepare report of progress against deliverables as requested by the Board of Directors, but no less than annually.
Funding sources for this position will come from multiple sources, and the Executive Director is responsible for regular updates and reports necessary to current and potential funding sources, including, but not limited to:
• The BTV Ignite Board
• Local Anchor Institutions
• Professional Associations
• The City
SUPERVISION: The Executive Director reports to the BTV Ignite Board of Directors
QUALIFICATIONS, PRESENCE and EXPERIENCE:
The candidate should:
- be a high-energy self-starter with extensive experience in a leadership position working in the private, nonprofit, and/or public sector.
- have a clear and visible passion for the role and for the opportunities from the emerging tech economy
- have demonstrated leadership capabilities, including the credibility and presence to make a difference
- have a proven ability to grow and thrive in an environment of constant challenge and change
- have proven ability to manage meaningful initiatives and programs to tight deadlines and real outcomes
- be able to set and juggle multiple competing priorities and deliverables
- be well organized with an ability to work autonomously
- have good public speaking and presentation skills and experience
- understand the current tech environment and have demonstrable evidence of using technology to drive efficiency and change in an organization
- be knowledgeable about the Burlington and Vermont technology sector in the context of an era of increasing technology enabled change, some of it disruptive and transformative
- exhibit a clear and visible passion for making a real, visible and lasting difference to Greater Burlington’s opportunity to understand, embrace and benefit from the evolving tech economy
- direct, own and execute on BTV Ignites Economic and Community Development Plans, partnering with and learning from key stakeholders within the community as well as other Ignite communities, and working to ensure that Burlington continues to perform at a level comparable to other leading adopters within US Ignite
- understand the importance and benefits of the effective use of social media
Fundraising experience is a plus but not essential.
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree and 10 years relevant experience
SALARY AND BENEFITS: TBD; Commensurate with experience